Aurangabad district is one of the thirty-eight districts of Bihar state, India. It is currently a part of the Red Corridor.
Aurangabad features in traditional records. The Saint Chyawan spent his life in an Aashram (known as Chyawan Aashram) near Deokund village of Haspura block in this district, and gave his name to a product called Chyawanprash. Aurangabad got its name from Aurangzeb . Aurangzeb came to this place in end of the sixteenth century.
This district is extreme South west part of ancient Magadh . All the books relating “Treta Yug and Dwapar Yug” relate to Lord Sri Ram and Lord Sri Krishna respectively find their own description . The Hindus all over the world come here to pay Pind (pious offerering) to their ancestors . During the course of “Pind-Dan” first Pind is given on the bank of river Pun-Pun . River Punpun has been called in the Puran as Ardhgang ( Half of river Ganga ) . So it is very much difficult to write an exhaustive history of this region. Each particle of this region has got its own history. Mere glimpse of the same is being given here.
The sages like Bhrigu practiced penance here . The deity of sage Bhrigu, Bhawani is situated at the junction of river Pun-pun and Madar. The statue of Bhawani is still in existence. The nose of the said statue is broken . As such, the people of that region call her Nakti Bhawani. The celebrated book of Indian Astrology Bhrigu Sanhita was written there .
This district remained taposthali (Penaut-place) of sage Chyawan. Sage Chyawan invented Aryuvedic Medicine Chyawanprash . His deity Lord Shiva is still in existence. That Shivaling is made of black Sapphire. The people of this region call him Baba Dudheshwar Nath. The Ashram of sage Chyawan is still a remainder Akhand Dhuni (A place where the Saint used to continuously burn a log) of sage Chyawan is still in existence, Where fire was not lit again. The Samadhi of Bal Yogi is also in front of Akhand Dhuni. People of this region still come in front of that, Samadhi and sit there to settle their disputes . They believe that the soul of the said yogi is still alive and he gives justice. As such the people of this region take an oath before him and leave their disputes to Balyogi. The people of this region have faith that justice will be done sure. Thus disputes are settled here ever in the present age.
There is a Sun temple of konark style in the district . It is said that this temple was founded by Raja Ayel, who was a Tretayugi king. He was also an ascendant of Lord Sri Rama . The old statue of the Sun was broken by Mogul rulers during their regime . The statue of trikal Surya has been established. The People of this region pay oblation to him especially on Sunday; Suryashasthi of month Chaitra, during the Adra Nakchhatra and on Suryashasthi of month of Kartik of Hindu Calendar . There is also a Suryakund in the south of temple where people pay Ardha to the setting and rising Sun. People of this district and nearby districts treat Sun god as Pratyachha Devta (Visible God), From whom we human being and all creatures get power . There is myth ( Folk tale) that the descendent of Maharana Pratap. Raja Fateh Narayan Singh, who was a leper, came here in course of hunting to quench the thirst of his horse, he fell in that “kund” (Pond) . It is said that he became cure of it . His disease of leprosy disappeared.
There is also a folk tale that Lord Brahma Started to construct three temples in this region in a single night. Two of them, the temples of Deo and Umga were completed, but third one of Devkund could not be completed, because it became morning, and the crow began to speak . The hill of Umga is full of temples, where so many statues of different gods and goddesses are scattered.
In these days, this district has become the antique paradise of smugglers. They steal the valuable idols from this region and sell abroad at fantastic price.
The history of Aurngabad is a part of history of the ancient Magadh which included the undivided district of Patna and Gaya . Three-forth of India’s early history is the history of Magadh and the area which forms the present district of Aurangabad was a proud sharer of this glory . Although it was a part of the Mahajanpad of Magadh, yet it had its distinct racial and cultural character. Froming part of the first vast the territorial empire of Magadh, perhaps the distinction of being ruled by Bimbisara and Ajatsatru and later on by Chandragupta Maurya and Ashoka . The river Sone has been accepted by the authorities as having been western boundary of the Magadh empire.
After the downfall of the Mauryas, this area remained under sovereignty of Sungas and Kushans. Harshavardhan also ruled over this land. During his regime, Celebrated books of Sanskrit literature Kadambari and Harshcharitra were written by Banbhatta, whose birthplace Pritakuta Parwat, village Piroo at present falls in the territory of the district. So many manuscripts written on Bhojpatra and Talpatra of that regime are being preserved village Piroo in the Banbhatta Pustakalya of the same village. When Pal dynasty of Bengal rose to power, its sway was over this area but it lasted for a short period.
The prominent feature of this region is that, although it was ruled by Ashoka, the grate Magadh Emperor, it culturally continued to enjoy its own identify. Even during the climax of his regime, this region resisted the spread of Buddhism. Later on the people of Rajputana came here to offer pind “Dan” to their ancestors at Gaya. They saw the natural beauty of this region which attracted them. They settled here, seeking their place of convenience. The rulers of Deo, Mali, Pawai, Chandragarh and Siris were the descendants of those Rajput warriors. Due to their militant Character, they resisted the domination of the Sultanate Mughals and Britishers.
Before this region came under the control of Moghul Sultanate, it remained under the control of Sen and Garhwal Kings.
During the regime of Sher Shah, the area became strategically important. It formed a part of the Rohtas Sirkar. The Afghan ruler built the famous Grand Trunk Road (Now N.H.No.-02). After death of Sher Shah; it came under imperial domain of Emperor Akbar. The Afghan upsurge in the area was suppressed by Todarmal and the area between Sherghati and Rohtas was brought under the Mughal Empire. But the glimpses of Afghan architecture are still visible in the old buildings of this region. During the regime of Aurangabad his Subedar Daud Khan Kuraishi founded the town Daudnagar after defeating Garhwal King of Palamu.
After downfall of Moghul Empire, the area came under control of zamindars of Deo, Kutumba, Mali, Pawai, Chandrgarh and Siris. The rebellious character of the zamindars of Siris, Kutumba and Pawai, is the proud-preserve in the history of this area. The first rebellion against the British authority belongs to Raja Narayan Singh of Reyasat Pawai, Whose forefathers said to be the descendents of Prithwi Raj Chauhan. The veteran freedom fighter Veer Kunwar Singh had his personal relationship in the family of Deo State. Some people say his Sasural was in that family. A joint army of all the Rajputs led by the men of Raja Narayan Singh started there towards Jagdishpur to help Veer Kunwar Singh during the year 1857. He had also support of Raja Chet Singh of Varanashi, Pitambar Singh of Tekari and Kuli Khan of Sasaram. A ferocious battle took place at both the bank of river Sone, where thousands of Britishers and soldiers of Raja Narayan Singh were killed. The Sepoy Mutiny of Danapur and Benaras created Commotion in the whole area. It remained for the whole year of 1857. In the next year, the British Government took measures to tighten their grip over administration. District of Gaya was separated from Patna District, and Aurangabad was made Subdivision in the year 1865. It remained part of Gaya District till 1973. Mr. Stement was first S.D.O. of Aurangabad Subdivision.
During the freedom struggle, it can be imagined that how much torture was given to the participants. Commissioner Stanton passed an order of attachment of properties on recommendation of Mr. H. Davis. Deputy Magistrate, Sherghati, of the following landlords:-
- (a) Bhanu Pratap Singh of Mali
- (b) Bal Govind Singh of Village Barhara
- (c) Jagu Singh of Village Urdanadih
- (d) Jagdamb Sohori of Manaura
- (e) Gulaman Khan of Village Koraypur
- (f) Lal Bahadur Singh
- (g) Din Dayal Singh Both residents of village -Mutani
- (h) Darshan Singh of Village Mali
- (i) Ayodhya Singh of Village Mihauli
- (j) Sheikh Chakauri of Village Ghota
- (k) Mahabul Singh of Mirjapur
- (l) Jagarnath Singh of Simra
- (m) Pitambar Singh of Village Manjhauli
During the freedom movement of 20th Century, the people of this region also took active part and remained in close contact of freedom fighters of the whole country. Mahatma Gandhi also came here. Hundreds of persons joined the freedom movement, leaving their own profession at his call. Kumar Badari Narayan Singh led the Namak Satyagrah of 1930. The Contribution of Bihar Bibhuti Anugrah Narayan Singh is well known to all. The veteran revolutionaries of that age got shelter here. Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan got shelter here after fleeing away from Hajaribagh Jail. It can be imagined how much consciousness was raised during his stay at the place Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose also stayed here in Chauram Ashram of Kumar Badri Narayan Singh for few days. Amar Saheed Jagatpati Kumar Who laid his life on the alter of mother land during the freedom movement of the year 1942. He along with six other were killed by the Britishers on 9th August 1942, while hoisting tricolor flag on the old secretariat building at state capital Patna. Martyrs memorial has been built in front of Bihar Legislative Assembly in their memory. Sarvashree Ram Swaroop Singh of village Kiyakhap, Sukhdeo Singh of village Karshara, Daroga Singh of Bhadwa, Ram Naresh Singh of Village Budhai, Ram Narayan Singh of village Karma, and Mithilesh Kumar Singh of Village Jamhore were among veteran revolutionaries who used to manufacture weapons and explosives. They also used weapon and explosive against the Britishers.
The Slogan “Angrejo Bharat Chhorho” launched by Mahatama Gandhi and Indian National Congress gave a great impact on the People of Aurangabad. Bihar Bibhuti Anugrah Narayan Singh Kamta Singh Kam, Abdul Gafoor and Ramchandra Sao both of village Tandwa Sainik Ram Narayan of village Chatra, Balram Singh and Ramdeo Singh both of village Beni Ganjhar, Rachha Prasad Lal of village Manjhauli Balkeshwar Ram of village Chandragarh and Priyabarat Narayan Singh of Village Sonaura were eminent participants of that movement.
Sri Priyabrat Narayan Singh died of asthma in the Jail. Sarvshree Lallu Prasad Kurmi, Hussaini Sao, Rambrichha Lal, Pandit Badri Nath Shashtri, Mathura Nath Tiwari and Ram Chandra Tiwari were also among the veteran participants of “August Kranti”. All of them belonged to village Deo.
The district of Aurangabad was separated on 26.01.1973 as per the govt.notification no 07/11-2071-72 dated 19.01.1973. From parent District Gaya Sri K.A.H. Subramanyam was the first District Magistrate and Sri Surjit Kumar Saha was the then Subdivisional officer.
Till 1991 there was only on Subdivision in Aurangabad district. That was Aurangabad Sadar. On 31 March 1991, one other Subdivision namely Daudnagar was created. Sri Madan Mohan Srivastava was the first Subdivisional Officer of Daudnagar. At present’s Birendra Bahadur Pandey it’s the District Magistrate of Aurangabad and Sushil Khopre is the Superintendent of Police. Sarvashree Anil Kumar and Chhati Lal Prasad are the Subdivisional Officer of Aurangabad and Daudnagar respectively.
Umgaa is small mountain area located near by Madanpur Block (back side of Madanpur bazar). The area is famous for sapta surya mandir. Formerly, this place was known for erstwhile Ruling state by chandra vanshi King Bhairwendra and later by Sisodia ruler Rana Sahasramaal Singh. The remains are still found near by surya kund. The Only remain surya mandir is possed by the Bihar tourism.
Dev is a historical place founded by Sisodia ruler of Umgaa and Ruled by Maharaja Prabil Singh. Mahraja Prablil Singh Established Deo state in seventeenth century This area is famous for its Sun Temple and chaiti chhath puja and Kartik chhat puja. There is Surya Kund and place come under bihar tourism. This was erstwhile ruling state founded by Sisodia rulers in the Sevteenth Century. The umgaa estate capital was shifted to this place and later known by Dev estate. The governance area extended to large area by sisodia ruler from Aurangabad to Palamu, Chatra, Sergati.
At the District headquarter of Aurangabad, Kazi Mohalla and Diwan Mohalla are situated, where Kabra of Kazi Aliman Diwan and Kazi Sharulla find place. Both of them were authorized Kazi of Auranjeb’s regime. In those days, responsibilities of settling disputes were given to Kazi as per Muslim customs.
As per an article written by a Judicial officer in year 1973 the court of Munsif has been here since 1846. There was also a bench of Honorary Magistrates at Daudnagar. So the history of Judiciary Aurangabad is much old. When Aurangabad was made subdivision in year 1865, the munsif was vested with some more power.
The Court of sub-judge was inaugurated on 22.06.1973 by the then Hon’ble Chief Justice Mr. Nandlal Untwalia. Sri Narayan Prasad Singh was the first Sub-Judge. Sri Singh was also First Chief Judicial Magistrate of Aurangabad.
The Court of District and Sessions Judge was inaugurated on 10.09.1977 by the then Hon’ble Chief Justice Sri Krishna Ballabha Narayan Singh of Patna High Court. Hon’ble Justice Sri Shambhu Prasad Singh had presided over the function in presence of Sri Bhagwad Prasad Jaiswal, the then District and Sessions Judge, Gaya Sri Jai Pati Sinha was the first District and Sessions Judge of this Judgeship
Aurangabad also played a major role in the Indian independence struggle. Aurangabad’s contribution in the freedom struggle has been immense with outstanding national leader like great Gandhian and the first Deputy Chief Minister cum Finance Minister of Bihar, Bihar Vibhuti Dr. Anugrah Narayan Sinha who was a close associate of Mahatama Gandhi and worked with Rajendra Prasad (the first President of India) and led the Gandhian Satyagraha movement in Bihar. It is also the birthplace of Satyendra Narayan Singh affectionately called Chhote Saheb, who was also a participant in the Indian independence movement, and a former Chief Minister of Bihar.
Aurangabad became a fully-fledged district when it was split from Gaya in 1972.
During the prehistoric days, So many Saints had spent their days here. Natural beauty of this district had always attracted them. Names of Bhrigu and Chyawan are above mentioned.
From among the, Muslim Saints the significant names include (I) Shah Sadruddin Sufi, who came here during 1200 AD from Syria (ii) Syed Mohammad Alkadari Bagdadi, who came here in year 1446 along with his 40 followers and (iii) Shah Jalaluddin Kabir Panipati and (iv) Mohammad Syeed Syalkoti also left there footprints in this area. All of them had some miraculous powers. They served the general mass in their own ways. Syed Mohammad Alkadari Bagdadi was buried at Amjhar Sharif and Md. Sayeed Syalkoti was buried at village Sihuli. Both of them are the pillars of religious harmony among the Hindus and the Muslims. Muslims pay offerings to them on date of their Urs. Hindus pay offering during the Navaratra of Chaitra and Navaratras of Ashwin month of Hindu calendar. These Saints throw light on merits of religions, which became torchlight for expansion of literacy among the general mass.
Name of Raja Narayan Singh stands amongst it the foremost freedom fighters of 1857. He was not only a warrior, but a great patron of culture also. He gave patronage to the classical musicians. These musicians are by caste Brahmin, but in these days, people call them Biritiya. Some of them are well known among the musician of our country, even to-day also.
Last heir of Deo state family was Raja Jagaranath Singh. He was a master of sword . He also very much fan of culture . He was the chief patron of the family of Bihar Vibhuti Dr. Anugrah Narayan Singh and his son Satyendra Narayan Singh.
Some Begali families remained here from beginning of 20th Centuary. They also remained too much helpful to the freedom fighters to give inspiration and showed ways for struggle. Among those land lords of Kunda, Hansauli and Sunderganj were on the top. Name of Sri Purbi Chandra Mukherjee and Manik Chand Bhattarcharjee, cannot be forgotten. Both of them were Head masters of Gate High School. During their regime, Gate High School became a premier institution of our state. Mr. Manik Chand Bhattacharjee was a scholar who inspired to fight against the evils prevailing in the society . He also gave patronage to his disciples from the displeasures of British officers. British officers posted here in those days were afraid of facing them . He remained source of inspiration for so many students who remained on top of glory, and served here as well as abroad. His son professor Budhdeo Bhattacharjee was born and got early education here, who is present Chief Minister of west Bengal.
All most all lawyers of Aurangabad either an advocate or a Mukhatar participated in freedom struggle directly or indirectly paying their patronage and financial assistance. Among those names of Sarvashree Ramesh Prasad Singh, Saryu Prasad Singh and Priyabarat Narayan Singh, Advocates are on the top. They remained Member of Parliament and Legislative assembly. Among the Mokhtiars the names of Sarvashree Jivaratan Prasad Singh, Ram Janam Singh, Triveni Singh, Ravneshwar Prasad Singh, Janardan Prasad and Saryu Singh are on the top. The lawyers of both bar association remained in the front line of social work of any nature. Bihar Bibhuti late Dr. Anugrah Narayan Singh and his son Sri Satyendra Narayan Singh were also initially lawyers. Both of them practiced as a lawyer in Hon’ble High Court. Late Anugrah Babu served our State as 1st Deputy Chief Minister and Satyendra Narayan Singh as Education Minister and later on as Chief Minister of our State for a long time.
Names of late Kamta Singh ‘Quam’ and his son Shankar Dayal Singh cannot be forgotten . Both of them were not only a political personality, but they served the Hindi literature also. Sri ‘Quam’ founded a publishing house, namely “Parijat Prakashan” at State Capital which remained pilgrimage of Hindi writers for a long time. Sri Shankar Dayal Singh had organized Kavi Sammellan on each birth day of Sri ‘Kam’ yearly at India level, in which almost all poets of our country used to participate.
Aurangabad district occupies an area of 3,389 square kilometres (1,309 sq mi), comparatively equivalent to Russia’s Vaygach Island. Aurangabad town is the administrative headquarters of this district. Aurangabad district is a part of Magadh division.
Rivers: Son, Punpun, Auranga, Bataane, Morhar, Aadri
In 2006 the Indian government named Aurangabad one of the country’s 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 36 districts in Bihar currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Aurangabad District comprises following Subdivisions:
- Daud Nagar
Blocks: Madanpur, Kutumbba, Daudnagar, Aurangabad, Barun, Obra, Dev, Nabinagar, Haspura, Goh, Rafiganj
According to the 2011 census Aurangabad district, Bihar has a population of 2,511,243, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 172nd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 760 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,000 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 24.75%. Aurangabad has a sex ratio of 916 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 72.77%.
“Jaaun Jaaun Bhaiya re Batohi Hind Dekhi Aaun Jahan Sonebhadra Mithe Swar Gawe re Batohiya.” This Lyric was written by a Bhojpuri poet during the middle of nineteenth century. This District is situated on the eastern bank of the same river . Ardh Gang river Poon–Poon flows diagonally from south western corner to north eastern corner of this District water of small Rivers of this District falls in Poon-Poon through three big rivers, namely, Batane, Adari and Madar. The hills of Bindhya ranges namely Chalho, Dwarpal, Umga are in the Middle East portion of Aurangabad. These hills are almost on the point of demarcation. From eastern flanks of those hills, the border of parent District Gaya starts. River sonebhadra as a line of demarcation eastern half portion falls under the territory of Aurangabad and western half of that sonebhadra lies under rohtas District. On the northern side Arwal District. (North Gaya), having district head quarter at Jehanabad is situated. In the southern portion, hills of Bindhya ranges and forest are stretched and Palamu District, Jharkhand, starts.
River and hills are full of valuable raw materials for purpose of building work. Precious stones like Gomed, Garnet, Sfatik, Mariyam Hauledil are found in those hills in raw form . Three-fourths of this district is irrigated by Sone From North Koyal and few canals of small rivers, this district emerged as a rich granary during the last four decades. It will be proper to mention here that, “Magahi” Betel leaves are grown on large scales which keep its own craze among betel eaters of our own country and abroad.
Grand chord Line passes through the middle of this district . On its eastern side, the major railway junction is Gaya and in the western side, Sone Nagar from where a railway line to wards Garhwa Road of Jharkhand State starts. The nearest Railway Station is Anugrah Narayan Road situated on Grand Chord line about 13 kilometers from the District head quarter. Two major roads pass through this district. First is NH-2 (Old Grand Trank Road) and second one is NH-98. Both Roads touch the District Headquarter. There is no provision of any Aerodrome or Air strip in this district . The nearest Airstrip is Suara on NH-2 about 25 km to the west of district headquarters in Rohtas District.
Geographical perspectives To the East of this district lies Gaya, to the west, Rohtas, to the south, Palamu of the Jharkhand province and to the North, Arwal. There are two subdivisions of this district, Aurangabad and Daudnagar. The whole district is divided into eleven blocks, two municipalities, three sub-scheduled areas, 203 Panchayats, 1884 Villages, 2838 wards,19 police stations and 06 Police-Out-Posts, The Headquarters of this district, Aurangabad is Aurangabad The area of the Aurangabad District is 3305 square kilometers and the total population of this district is 20,35,757 as per 2001 census . Literacy rate is 57.5 percent. The percentage of male members is 71.95 and that of female members is 42.04.
This district lies between 24.750 N and 84.370 E . The climate of this region is Tropical. During the summer days temperature rises up to 40 °C to 50 °C, whereas during the winter temperature falls almost near 5 °C rainfall in this region is average near 50 centimetre 75 centimetre. The soil of this district is highly suitable for the agriculture of paddy, wheat and sugar-cane The irrigation-planning has made the land of this district most fertile and suitable for agriculture.
A few areas of Nabinagar, Kutumba, Deo and Madanpur blocks are surrounded with hills. Consequently, there is no adequate availability of the opportunities of employment in this area. Such a situation compels the youths of these blocks to go to the other parts of India to seek employment. Desides, in reaction against unemployment and poverty, these blocks are affected with extremism.
Literature and Culture
Literature and culture are the finest embodiments of the spiritual stage of the human society No society can flourish without literary and cultural trends. Agriculture prospers the land where as culture prospers the wisdom. Culture sprays its beauty and fragrance by fostering and developing itself in to liberty. Aurangabad has its special status in the field of literature and culture not only on provincial level but also on the national level. The land of Aurangabad has produced eminent personalities from down to ages. The composer of the book, Kadambari of India-fame living at the sacred place, Peeru, Raja Jagannath Prasad Singh, kinkar, Pandit Gangadhar Shastri (respected in the kingdom of the gwalior Raj Gharana), Shri Rudrashta Pathak, Pandit Damodar Mishra, Shri Kamleswar jee, Shri Kamta Prasad Singh, Qam, Shri Ram Ghulam Ram and Shri Shankar Dayal Singh, the Son of Shri Kamta Prasad Singh Qam and an ex-member of the Rajya Sabha are among them with their various deeds aimed at the welfare of humanity on a wide scale. The land of Aurangabad has got the fate of achieving the specialized and wealthy Jhunjhunanwa hill and a peculiar natural wealth. The ancient books in Bengla, Urdu, Persian, Sanskrit, Hindi and English are available at the hands of the members of the family of Raja Narayan Singh in Bihar. The eminent singer and artist of Repute, Isaraj is the gift of this district.
Fifty two bighas of the pond of the king, Bhairwendra of Umaga of the sixth century, the well, standing on the Rani Ghat hill, the Bawan temple on the mountain are the symbolic of our prowess and self-respect. The ruins of Maa Satyachandi, Satavahini, Sita, Thapa, Hariyahi Dame on the river, Batane, the forts of Deo, Kara Nawab, various buildings and ancient temples are available even today in this district.
The small village Deokund is also associated with an interesting mythological relevance. According to Hindu mythology, once Lord Vishwakarma was asked to make three temples in one night. He did so. These three temples were identical in design and incorporated a small pond.
Without education, there remains to be no difference between man and animal, though animals and other creatures have anticipation of future events . From time immemorial, the art and education of Aurangabad has achieved the glory of being the centre of culture .
Pratikutdheyanam Nagaram “ is that very Peeru village of the Aurangabad district where the composer of the world –famous book, “Qadambari “ Banbhatt ever lived . Whether it may be the medieval Gurukul System or the educational institutions of Mughal and British Rule, their presence has been constantly in vogue in this district . Even to- day, we can see the Sanskrit School and Madarsa established in 1914-15 in function, which present a unique example of communal harmony, adorning themselves at the same place .
The Gait High School, now known as Anugrah Inter School, Aurangabad established in 1917 was the only High School of the whole Aurangabad Subdivision of that time . In the decade of 1930 High Schools were established in the headquarters of 03-04 police – satations . Sachidanand Sinha Middle School eatablished in 1944 has achieved the glory of being the first college of the Magadh University . Prior to the very achievement of independence, various Primary and Middle Schools had been bearing the obligations of imparting education in this district . Various Primary, Middle and Basic Schools were established in this district under E.I.P. started in 1955.
All Primary and Middle Schools conducted by various administrative units from 1917 to 1975 were taken over and nationalized. Operation Black Board was started aiming at qualitative reform of education in 1986 -88. Under this scheme, educational materials, Audio-visual materials were supplied . Under the eighth financial planning one by one teachers’ residence and latrines ware built for several schools.” School Chalo Abhiyan “was conducted with a view to hundred percent admission under the universalisation scheme of education in 1992, in which hopeful success was achieved with a view to connect the guardians with the educational institutions and bring about qualitative changes in the work –system of schools in 2000.
At present district public Education officer is in function for the educational task in the district who was the in charge of the informal education system prior to this as stated above. School education system is also in its formation in addition to the headmaster of the school on primary school level, which is considered to be a fine achievement in the field of universalisation. Educational institutions:-Various educational institutions have been shown by the following table – Literacy rate:- In order to achieve the objectives of total literacy, original works have been done in this district. For adult literacy in the district, adult literacy programme was started in the year 1981-82, which ran till 1991-92. For the achievement of this very goal, the India government gave acceptance to the total literacy programme in the district in 1993. This programme has fully contributed to add to the rate of literacy. As per 2001 census, the number of literate persons in the Aurangabad district is 11,52,852 (57.50 percent), among which there are 7,45,641 (71.00 percent) Males and 4,07,453 (42.09 percent) females.
After the census of 1981, persons of seven years or more than that began to be placed in the category of literacy and illiteracy. On the basis of 2001 census, the position of the district is fifth in relation to literacy in comparison to the total population of Bihar. On the Basis of calculation, there has been felt the proportion of a literate female for every two literate males. In proportion to the year 1991 there has been 10 percent increase in the literacy rate of the state, which is still fewer in proportion to the All India average rate 65.38 percent. In proportion to the average literacy rate 47.53 percent of the state, the literacy rate of district is more.
Block wise literacy rate In proportion to the total literacy rate 57.50 percent of the district, the literacy rate of the Aurangabad block is 68.23 percent, which is sufficient. There is the need of special attention for female literacy. Schools located in Aurangabad:-
- Paradise Public School, Club Road
- Madarsa Islamia, Club Road
- Sarasawati Shishu Mandir, near Thakurbari Road, Surya Mandir
- DAV Public School
- Delhi Public School (DPS)
- VAV School
- Mahesh Academy
- Rajershri High School
- Anugraha Inter School(Famous known as “Gate School”).
- Lord Buddha Public School, Chitragupta Nagar
- Vivekanand Mission School
- Ghatrain High School
- Ghatrain Middle School and Primary School
Colleges located in Aurangabad (with affiliation):-
- Sachhidanand Sinha College (Magadh University)
- Anugrah Narayan Memorial College (Magadh University)
- R.L.S.Y. College (Magadh University)
- Kishori Sinha Mahilla College (Magadh University)
- Mahila College (Women’s College), Daudnagar, (Magadh University)
Engineering Colleges in Aurangabad :
- Sityog College of Engineering
Places to see in Aurangabad
Aurangabad district in Bihar is home to myriad tourist attractions. Magnificent temples, historical places and Islamic pilgrimage centers are located in the district. Excellent connectivity via road and efficient means of local transport has boosted up tourism in Aurangabad. As a result, the number of tourists visiting the place has increased considerably. Touring around the district will be a pleasant experience from October to March, which is considered the best time to visit Aurangabad.
Located 10-km to the southeast of Aurangabad, Deo is home to the well-known Sun temple. The 15th century old temple is believed to be built by Bhairvendra Sing, a Chandravanshi king of Umga. It is a 100-ft tall structure, with an umbrella-like top. The important custom of worshipping the Sun God and taking bath in its Brahma Kund dates back to the era of King Ayel. Every year, during Chhath festival, thousands of pilgrims gather in the premises of the temple to worship the Sun God.
Deo Kund is an important historic place that forms one of the major tourist attractions in Aurangabad. Situated 10 km to the southeast of the border of Aurangabad and Jehanabad, Deo Kund houses an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Thousands of worshippers visit this temple during Shivratri. As per a legend connected to Deo Kund, Chyawan Rishi took shelter in this temple.
Umga is one of the famous tourist attractions in Aurangabad. Located 24-km to the east of the city, the pilgrim center houses a Vaishnava temple. In terms of its architecture, the temple bears resemblance to the Sun temple built at Deo. Square granite blocks are used to built the magnificent Vaishnava temple, which houses the deities of Lord Ganesha, Sun God and Lord Shiva. Archaeologists and historians will definitely find this temple a special place to visit.
Amjhar Sharif bears religious significance for being an important Islamic pilgrimage centre of Aurangabad. Located about 10 km away from Panchrukhia, on the Daudnagar-Gaya Road, Amjhar Sharif is abode of an ancient mazaar (grave) of a Muslim saint – Hazrat Saiyadana Mohammad Jilani Amjhari Quadri. Thousands of Muslims visit this pilgrimage center on the anniversary of the great saint, which is held in the first week of June. The holy hair of the saint is put on display on the occasion.
Pawai, Mali and Chandangadh
Migrants from Rajasthan played a crucial role during the medieval and modern periods of history of Aurangabad. Pawar, Mali and Chandangadh are locations where one can find the remains of old forts, whose princes are said to have come from Rajasthan. A visit to these places will prove to be highly adventurous for enthusiastic archaeologists.
Another tourist place in Aurangabad that bears some historical significance is Piru. Known as Pritikoota in the ancient times, it was the birthplace of Banbhatta, a legendary poet and the State Chronicler of King Harshwardhana.
Siris, yet another interesting tourist place in Aurangabad, was a pargana during the rule of Sher Shah and the Mughal Empire. Over the passing years, the place became the playground of King Narayan Sing and some unsung heroes of The Revolt of 1857. Siris also houses a mosque, which was built during the rule of Aurangzeb.
Filed Under: Location