The Supreme Court on Friday accepted the CBSE’s plea seeking more time to re-conduct All India Pre Medical Test 2015 which it had scrapped in view of large-scale cheating with students receiving answers through electronic devices at many places.
The apex court directed CBSE to declare the results by August 17.
The Central Board of Secondary Education had told the apex court on Thursday that it was impossible to re-conduct within four weeks the scrapped national test for admission to medical colleges and appealed for three months.
The education board’s counsel solicitor general Ranjit Kumar had told the court that it would be impossible to hold the exam again within the given time because the board was overburdened with work as it was conducting seven exams simultaneously.
The court had earlier rejected the CBSE’s contention that scrapping the exam would affect lakhs of students and delay the admission process in medical colleges across the country.
This year, over 630,000 students wrote the test at 1,050 centres across India for over 3,800 medical seats.
All these students “cannot be made to take the exam afresh when only 44 students have been found involved in taking benefits through unfair means”, said Kumar while arguing the case earlier.
But the court said the exam stood vitiated even if one student was benefiting illegally.
It cancelled the test after investigators said answer keys of 123 questions were transmitted through 75 mobile phones in Bihar, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, Haryana and several other states.
Courtesy: Hindustan Times