May 19, 2024

The Bihar

Bihar's #1 Online Portal

Patna Municipal Corporation board clears major schemes

2 min read

Patna: The 15th PMC ward councillors’ board meeting here on Saturday gave its go-ahead to schemes for revamping the state capital’s sewerage system and introduction of door-to-door garbage collection.

A Melbourne-based company, Meinhardt, had recently submitted detailed project report (DPR) of a master plan worth Rs 2,580 crore for revamping the city’s 75-year-old sewerage system. The scheme was awaiting the board’s final nod. “Now the managing director, Bihar Urban Infrastructure Development Corporation, will be presenting the DPR of the sewerage scheme to Union government on February 5,” said PMC commissioner Kuldip Narayan.

He added, “If it gets nod from the Union government, then the PMC, state government and government of India (GoI) will be signing a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with the company, with 70% of funding by the Union government and remaining 30% by the state government.”

The company has proposed a sewerage length of 1,250km and sewage treatment plants (STP) with capacity of 370 million litres per day (MLD) by the year 2032 and 550 MLD by 2047. The master plan requires 40 hectares of land for the project and the company has proposed Sequential Batch Reactor (SBR) technology for treatment of municipal waste in the city as it is a fully automated system and requires minimum manpower.

Another plan that received PMC board’s nod is door-to-door garbage collection and transportation of solid waste. For the garbage collection service and buying equipments for solid waste management, the Union government has already given a sum of Rs 36.95 crore under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).

Courtesy: TNN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *