Buddhist monks mark first anniversary of serial blasts at Mahabodhi Temple1 min read
Bodh Gaya: Buddhist monks offered special prayers to mark the first anniversaryof serial blasts that rocked the Mahabodhi Temple, last year.
A series of explosions in and around Buddhism’s holiest shrine in Bihar injured two persons early on July 7, 2013, in what the government described as a “terror” attack.
The Mahabodhi Temple complex is located in Bodh Gaya, which the holiest of Buddhist pilgrimage destinations in the world.
District magistrate, Sanjay Agrawal, said security has been beefed up and adequate arrangements have been made for the tourists and monks.
“Several arrangements are being made so that such incidents like blasts do not recur which took place a year ago. In addition to this we also prayed to God to give us strength to prevent it,” said Agrawal.
Four blasts occurred inside the Mahabodhi Temple premises, three blasts at Tergar monastery and another near the famous 80-foot Buddha statue.
Recalling the incident, monks from various countries gathered at the temple and prayed for world peace.
” Buddhist monks and priests from several countries participated in the prayer session and everyone offered prayers at the holy site,” Agrawal added.
It was in 2002 that the UNESCO had recognized the Mahabodhi temple as a world heritage site.