Aurangabad is a city and a municipality in Aurangabad district in the state of Bihar, India. Aurangabad (pop. 79,351) is the district headquarters of the aurangabad district. It is situated on the Grand Trunk Road. The people of this region primarily speak Magahi. Due to lack of industrialization, people are still mainly dependent upon agriculture and related activities. Rice and wheat are the main crops produced here.
The Magadh region was one of the oldest and strongest empires of the world in the Ancient period and its boundaries (600-250 BC) spread across to parts of the (now present) countries of Burma, Pakistan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka & Bangladesh, apart from India. This was the region about Megasthenes (3rd Century BC), a Greek writer, traveller and scholar wrote with much awe and inspiration about his empire and the people.
Present Administrative setup
Aurangabad is one of the 38 districts of Bihar. It has two sub divisions Aurangabad and Daud Nagar. The blocks are Madanpur, Kutumbba, Daudnagar, Aurangabad, Barun, Obra, Dev, Nabinagar, Haspura, Goh and Rafiganj
Aurangabad is located at 24°45′N 84°22′E24.75°N 84.37°EIt has an average elevation of 108 metres (354 feet).
As of 2001 India censusAurangabad had a population of 79,351. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Aurangabad has an average literacy rate of 30%, lower than the national average of 59.5%; with 48% of the males and 22% of females literate. 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Anugrah Narayan Sinha (First Deputy Chief Minister and Finance Minister of Bihar)
- Satendra Narayan Sinha (Former Chief Minister of Bihar)
- Badri Narayan Singh (Freedom fighter)
- Sitaram Singh (Freedom fighter, Pleader)
- Vijay Kumar Singh (former Bihar Minister)
- K.B.P.Singh ‘Neelam’ (Advocate, P.P., Indian Red Cross Secretary)
- Nikhil Kumar (Ex-NSG Chief & presently MP of this district)
- Ramdhyan singh (Freedom fighter)
- Shree Sushil Kumar Singh (MP & MLA of the constituency, vice precident of the JD(U), Bihar)
- Shree Ram Naresh Singh aka Lutan Singh(MP and MLA from the district,former of the JD(U), Bihar)
- Lt. Col. Sudhir Kumar Singh (Army officer)
- Shree Sunil Kumar Singh (well known businessman of the place)