Snake found in meal, 54 kids taken ill in Sitamarhi1 min read
A total of 54 students of a government middle school in Bihar’s Sitamarhi district fell ill on Saturday after eating mid-day meal in which a “snake” was found.
Sursand block development officer Vinod Kumar said the children Meghpur Middle School at Sursand developed symptoms of nausea and fell unconsciousness after eating the meal.
They were rushed to a nearby pubic health centre, given medicines and kept under observation.
None of them were in critical condition, he said.
“We have seized the khichdi that was given to the students. A long, black object was found in it and we suspect that it could be a snake that got cooked with the meal. We will send the samples for tests,” said Kumar.
Sursand Inspector Bimar Kumar Singh said the school students ate the meal and then noticed the snake-like object in the large utensil in which it was cooked. They then reported feeling sick and began vomiting soon after. A year ago 23 children of a primary school at Dharmasati Gandaman village in Bihar’s Saran district had died after eating a mid-day meal laced with pesticides.