July 16, 2024

The Bihar

Bihar's #1 Online Portal

PU readies for entrance test

2 min read

Patna: Patna University is gearing up to introduce the entrance test for admission to postgraduate courses from the next academic session.

PU vice-chancellor Rash Bihari Prasad Singh said: “The university administration has submitted the draft proposal for introduction of entrance test at postgraduate level to the chancellor’s office. Once the university gets a nod from Raj Bhavan, the varsity will go ahead. The university will then do away with the process of admission based on marks which gave preference to undergraduate students passing out of PU.”

If the proposal gets a go-ahead, PU will be the first state-run varsity in Bihar to have an entrance test at the postgraduate level. The university administration has prepared a draft proposal for the proposed entrance test.

Students from universities across the state and even outside can apply, but 50 per cent seats will be reserved for undergraduate students of the varsity, while the rest will be filled with students of other universities.

Presently, admission at postgraduate level is given on the basis of marks with 80 per cent seats reserved for students from PU, while the rest 20 per cent seats are filled from students of other universities.

Kumar Vikrant, an undergraduate physics student at BN College, said: “With entrance test at postgraduate level, students from across the state will get a chance to apply and based on screening, the best students will get a chance.”

Another BN College student said: “The postgraduate entrance test will face similar fate like undergraduate entrance test with many colleges facing a tough time in filling up seats at different undergraduate courses.”

Many undergraduate seats at Patna College and BN College remain unfilled despite entrance tests.

A social science teacher at Darbhanga House said: “The success of entrance test at postgraduate level is doubtful as many universities in the state have delayed the academic session and in such a situation, participation of students from different universities in the entrance test appears to be doubtful.”

Courtesy: The Telegraph

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *